ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

2 posters

New to Mushing and Sled Dogs

TerryC

New to Mushing and Sled Dogs Empty New to Mushing and Sled Dogs

Post by TerryC Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

First time here for me. I have a 10 month old male ,,we think he's an Alaskan Husky as he's not quiet the size of a Malamute. Snoop looks the same as one but is a lot more slender in stature so we think he is a Husky. Anyway we have got a few contacts and ideas from kind people involved in the sport. Knowing absolutely nothing at this point regards sled sports I was wondering how old should he be before he can enter a weight pull or "mush" as a novice dog? Also being a newbie husky owner is it normal for them to chew up lounge chairs,,shoes (by the dozen) etc? Appreciate any advice guys Smile

Terry Chalkley
    Gympie Qld
    Schusski

New to Mushing and Sled Dogs Empty Re: New to Mushing and Sled Dogs

Post by Schusski Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi Terry,
    As one of the few Alaskan husky breeders in the sport here in oz ,my first question is who did you get it from-if they had anything to do with the sport they would have told you ,you could have started training around 6months old.If he is not from an alaskan breeder he could be a siberian husky crossed malamute .Which true alaskan huskies are not currently bred from ,the modern "alaskan" is a mixture of breeds ,hound,gundogs,village dogs which have been especially bred to race either distance races ,mid distance or sprint.
    And in regards to the chewing if he has any husky or mal in him it is in his genes to chew,my advice would be to get him active -walks or swimming it is to hot at the moment to do weight training or harness break him .If you want to talk more you can email me on schusski@bigpond.com or ring me on 0421688117

Wayne Baker
    schusskisleddogs

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:10 pm