ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

5 posters

Scooters for sledding

Paddles
    Paddles

Scooters for sledding Empty Scooters for sledding

Post by Paddles Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:43 am

I am new to dog sledding (Incredibly new! LOL) and now having my new harness's from windchill, using my sons scooter (which is just a little small) and I am thinking of buying one of the scooters advertised as for dog sledding (ie windchill, or cardiprin??) does anyone have scooters bought from these, what do you think of it.

Thank you.

Heidi Price
    [img]Scooters for sledding Th_goodshotone[/img]
    MDL

Scooters for sledding Empty Re: Scooters for sledding

Post by MDL Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 pm

If you find anything REALLY REALLY cheap let me know. I'm looking for a second hand one atm, or new if the price is right.

MDL
    ACT Rep
    ACT Rep

Post by ACT Rep Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Ha ha Heidi, your son's scooter looks like a Torper which I have been using for sledding for 7 years but then again I am also the butt of many "when you gonna get serious" jokes too. The ultimate humiliation was not when the 5 and 7 year old kids arrived at training with the same scooter as their xmas pressie a few years ago but when they graduated to 'proper' scooters and I, many decades older than them, was still on my torper! I keep promising myself a Kickbike...... one day.....
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Yes, it's a torper lol, I'm getting a new one as soon as I pick one... My back, hips and knees are shot, and the stress the scooter puts on them is not good. BUT, I need a scooter that I can stand evenly on both feet on (Or maybe one of the ones with a seat (Although, weather we would ever go long enough distances to need a seat....)

I got to go for a run today (its just been too hot) and it was wonderful.... Maybe I can persuade hubby to move somewhere cooler (With snow even)

For an incredibly cheep scooter, keep your eye open, and speak to the staff at the local tip. one found there might need minor repair, ie new tyres, but you would be surprised at what ends up at the local tip. However you would not find a proper adult kickbike, but you might get a torper.... Very Happy
    Shyvarne Racing
    Shyvarne Racing

Post by Shyvarne Racing Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi Heidi,

I've been supplying Kickbikes to the sledding community for over a decade now. The kickbike models best suited for sledding are the Cross Max, Cross G4 or X Country - Visit www.kickbikes.com.au for specifications.

I offer kickbikes to the sledding community at a discounted price. If you would like any further info you can find my phone number and email address in the distributors links; I'm located in the ACT.

Regards, Chris
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:14 pm

sorry. Shyvarne, I've ordered one off David Pettigrew.

don't suppose you supply harness's?
    Shyvarne Racing
    Shyvarne Racing

Post by Shyvarne Racing Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:33 pm

No sorry
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 am

Heidi, I had Ralph at Windchill build me a custom 26 inch scooter about three years ago after spending the first three years on a smaller 20 inch. The scooter built was a bit of a guinea pig in that it had a very different rear end set up and that it was running front and rear disc brakes. The scooters Ralph turns out are great - although he does get very busy!! If you have an old mountain bike, he can cut that up and turn out the scooter. As a recommendation, If you are new to sledding, I would be tempted to start on either a 20 or 24 inch and possibly have a seat added (makes it easier to control the dogs on passing if you are a little nervous). Ralph will give you lots of tips, based on your height, number of dogs etc. If you dont have Windchills number it is 03 9710-1256.

Regards,
    Justin Celentane
    Snowpaw Alaskan Malamutes
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:50 am

Hi Justin,

I ordered a scooter off David Pettigrew, its going to be a big one. I had a go with one of his first.

Thank you for your thoughts tho.

Heidi

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:53 am