ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

4 posters

New to this

mattandcloud
    mattandcloud

New to this Empty New to this

Post by mattandcloud Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Hey everyone, im new to sledding and im just wondering if i could ask some pointers and tips from anyone who has a spare moment.
    sonbear
    sonbear

New to this Empty Re: New to this

Post by sonbear Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi, Depending on which state you are in, you can look at the Siberian husky clubs of NSW www.shcnsw.org.au and VIC www.siberianhuskyvic.org.au Canberra Sleddog club www.canberrasleddogclub.com.au , SA Sleddog club www.sasleddog.org.au and Wilddog Sleddog club SA , West Australian Sleddog Sports Association www.wassa.com.au.If you contact them they may have a starters day organised before the raceseason starts. Hope this helps.
    Kim
    mattandcloud
    mattandcloud

Post by mattandcloud Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks Kim, I had a look and talked to one of the people from the Vic club.
    Im also wondering if any one could give me some advice on sleeding. Ive tried on just a bike but that didn't end to well, ended with a few stacks. Thanks again for your help
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 am

G'day there. Using a bike generally ends in tears! But, we all learn the hard way. And stacks build character!

What sort of info are you after? Throw down a few lines and I'm sure there will be plenty - like myself - ready and willing to help as much as possible so that you get the most from yourself and your dog and that you enjoy the experience.

Regards,

Justin Celentane
    Snowpaw Alaskan Malamutes
    St Andrews Vic 3761
    mattandcloud
    mattandcloud

Post by mattandcloud Tue May 01, 2012 9:05 am

It scared him of the bike after the stack his really hesitant and wont run infront of it any more when I'm slowing down..

Like what's easier to learn to teach him on a scooter or a rig, I had a look at the harness and got a bit confused.. What would be the best one?
    Also in training him while his pulling me around is there any bad habits he might pick up? Or any vital things I need to teach him while his pulling.
    Im still trying to learn myself so, it's like the blind leading the blind when we go for a ride. If you could help me out with any of that it would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou
    Matt
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Wed May 02, 2012 2:00 am

G'day Matt, welcome aboard.

Dont be put off. You are in exactly the same place as most when we first start.

There are several types of harness that are available - an "H" back or an "X" back seem to be the most popular.

With one dog, teaching on a scooter is easier - theres less distance to the ground in the event of a stack, and there is just a little more control.

Any training, however, should not be done with the line attached to the collar with the dog pulling. This has the potential for causing injury to the dog. The purpose of a harness is to allow the dog to pull from its shoulders down through its body, rather than the neck in the case of a collar only.

At present, if you only have a lead and collar, you can start to teach him some vital commands - "Gee" (right) or "Haw" (left). As you are walking along, have your dog on a short lead, and call him to "Gee" or "Haw" as you change direction (just tugging the lead in that direction as you go). He will slowly get the sense of direction change, and hopefully will eventually do it without prompting. If you come up to obstacles - another dog, or a person - you can use "On By" or "Leave it" to prompt not to take interest in whatever is there.

These are some basic things to get you started. With respect to scooters - sometimes people have them for sale in this forum, so keep you eyes open (alternatively you could get one made for you try windchill.com.au).

Lastly Matt, which state do you live in? I know that there have been a couple of training days held in Victoria already with more to come. I would assume that the same would apply with the other states.

One very last thing. How old is your dog? Harness training should not begin at too early an age (i start my Mals at about 8 months, I think the sibes are a bit earlier) due to structural development.

Regards,

Justin

mattandcloud
    mattandcloud

Post by mattandcloud Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 am

I have a harness at the moment that goes around his chest and front legs but it seems like its pulling on his neck when he runs...
    I'll start to teach him that stuff, I'll let you know how I go.
    Im from Victoria but im about 4 hours away from where they have all there events so it makes it hard to get him to bendigo and that.. Im going to try make the one on the 19-20th
    His about 19 months old to. Will his age make it more difficult to train him?
    Thank you for all your advice to its greatly appreciated!
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Wed May 02, 2012 8:06 am

Matt it shouldnt make it any harder. I had a Mally come to me at two years old, and I was her fourth owner. She went to to do extremely well in harness, at weightpulling and packing. You will just need to persist, be patient and praise lots. Do you know what type of harness you have (X or H back) or where it came from? Or do you have a "haltie" type harness that you are using? In terms of "four hours away." Where exactly, as the Northern Victorian Sleddog Club has a training weekend this coming weekend (I believe) at Myrtleford. Travel is the difficult thing that does end up concerning people. But, for what its worth, there are some that travel from WA for example to Dinner Plain for the A5K each year.

Regards, Justin
    mattandcloud
    mattandcloud

Post by mattandcloud Wed May 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Okay that's good then, I've started teaching him gee and haw while I was walking him today, his picking up on it slowly so that's good.

When it's unclipped it looks like a H, I got it from a local pet store.

I'm from Gippsland, traveling to the events isn't an issue for me it's just I havent had my sib in the car for longer then 30mins whilst driving. His a bit frantic in the car when I drive.
    I'll go check the details for the northern Vic site now Smile
    sonbear
    sonbear

Post by sonbear Wed May 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Matt,

It all takes time, the more you give him direction the better he will be. There are different kinds of harnesses for running dogs, some racing clubs sell them or you get them from US, Taiga and dogbooties harnesses are pretty popular. You will need to try one on for size. If you do come to the race in Bendigo ,i'm hopefully going, so you can try on a few harnesses there. I hope to see you there, keep up the training, have fun most of all..

Happy trails Kim
    mattandcloud
    mattandcloud

Post by mattandcloud Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 am

Hey Kim, I'm seeing if I can get work off to make it to bendigo, fingers crossed I get it off.

I took cloud (my sib) out last night and he got puffed out after about 2 minutes of running. Will he just improve over time?
    Poppet
    Poppet

Post by Poppet Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 pm

hi matt!
    my other half and i are in gippsland and have 2 sibe girls Smile
    which area are you? we're in churchill Smile
    gettin to the club races this year is going to be a push as they are all bendigo or further except you yangs but almost everyone is in that boat.
    sonbear
    sonbear

Post by sonbear Fri May 18, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Matt,

Unfortuantely not going to the race. There will be lots of people to help you. Talk to some of the club commitee members they are all very helpful and should be able to helpout with harness fitting and other questions you may have. Have fun Kim

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 pm