ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

2 posters

Falls Creek Classic 2010

Mya Girl
    Mya Girl

Falls Creek Classic 2010 Empty Falls Creek Classic 2010

Post by Mya Girl Wed May 19, 2010 3:41 pm

The Falls Creek Classic 2010 is an exhibition race to give Falls Creek management a look at this style of event, without the pressure of a full scale race. It is to be held on Monday the 5th of July (during Victoria’s school holidays)

It will be run as a standard race format with teams sizing from 2dog – 6dog with a track length of approximately 3.5kms – 4kms long. All breeds of dog are welcome to this event, but get your entry form in ASAP if you are interested, as the race is capped at 20 teams.

The Falls Creek Classic Committee would like to thank ASSA for allowing us to become an affiliate of the association, and hence the use of your insurance for the Falls Creek Classic 2010 race.

If you are interested in being a part of the exhibition race at Falls Creek this year, there are two forms you need to fill in. You need to fill in the entry form, and also need to fill in the 'authority to keep a dog' form for each dog you will be running, as only dogs that are running shall be allowed on the mountain with a permit.

Entry forms have been posted on owdog (yahoo groups) for those who have access to it. They are located in: Files, Entry Forms, 2010, Falls Creek Classic 2010.

Entry forms will also be printed and available at the following races:
    SHCV Race Two at Bannockburn: May 22-23
    The Blue Lake Classic, Mount Gambier: May 29-30
    SCHV Rave Three at You Yangs: June 5-6
    Undera Sled Dog Dash at Kialla: June 12-14
    Goldseekers at Inglewood: June 25-27

If you are unable to download these files from owdog and are not attending the above events, send an email to sanders.leah.j@edumail.vic.gov.au and I shall email the entry form and dog authority form to you.

Included with the entry form is an information page, however if you have any questions regarding this event – please ask, as there may be other people who are also wondering the same thing.

Feedback so far from Falls Creek Management has been extremely positive. We hope to see lots of people at Falls Creek this year so we can get this event off and running for 2011.

Leah Sanders.
    Mya Girl
    Mya Girl

Falls Creek Classic 2010 Empty Re: Falls Creek Classic 2010

Post by Mya Girl Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 am

Falls Creek Classic Update

Everything for the Falls Creek Classic is moving fast and looks like being a fantastic event.
    Falls Creek Management are very serious about the event, this year, and in the future. We need to take this opportunity now to cement the race for future years.

Falls Creek have been putting out press and media releases already, including a radio interview, putting the Falls Creek Classic on their events calendar, and an article on www.ski.com.au at the following site: http://www.ski.com.au/cgi-bin/admin/news/vnews.pl?ad=-102023-&year=2010

We have at present 6 teams who have registered their expression of interest to be part of this fantastic opportunity, but we need the numbers to be up around 20 teams to really make this year a success. If you are thinking of being part of the Falls Creek Classic for 2010, please get your expression of Interest in ASAP. We know the date for the event is not ideal – but we really need to make this happen.

As stated in the above post: Forms have been posted on owdog (yahoo groups) for those who have access to it. They are located in: Files, Entry Forms, 2010, Falls Creek Classic 2010.

They will also be available at the following races:

The Blue Lake Classic, Mount Gambier: May 29-30
    SCHV Rave Three at You Yangs: June 5-6
    Undera Sled Dog Dash at Kialla: June 12-14
    Goldseekers at Inglewood: June 25-27

If you are unable to download these files from owdog and are not attending the above events, send an email to sanders.leah.j@edumail.vic.gov.au and I shall email an expression of interest form to you.

Get behind this fantastic opportunity and help make the Falls Creek Classic a permanent snow race!

Leah Sanders
    Mya Girl
    Mya Girl

Post by Mya Girl Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 pm

The Falls Creek Classic Committee regret to announce that due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control, the exhibition event to be held on Monday the 5th of July at Falls Creek, has had to be cancelled due to the current lack of snow. At this current time, the trail we were going to use does not have enough snow coverage for a sled dog event to be held, and the current forecast is not showing us great promise to give us sufficient coverage by Monday.

In saying this, Falls Creek management are still very keen to press ahead with the event this year, and are in negotiations with the RGO to find a suitable date later in the snow season. If a later date is confirmed, the people who have signed up to race on July 5th will get first offer of a place to run.

We are really sorry, and apologise for the cancelling of the Falls Creek Classic on this date, but unfortunately we have no control over the fall of snow.

Leah Sanders.
    ACT Rep
    ACT Rep

Post by ACT Rep Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:14 am

Sorry to hear this Leah, I was looking forward to helping out but was really suss about the chances of going ahead when I looked at the conditions on the weekend and the forecast for natural snowfall. I know the snowmakers will be using these cold nights to pump out as much snow as possible on the downhill runs, which will be good for my skiing over the next few days but a long way from the aqueduct and the village roads that you need. Fingers crossed for real snow and plenty of it and a new date. cheers
    Jennie
    Mya Girl
    Mya Girl

Post by Mya Girl Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks Jennie.
    It was a really hard decision to make - but a call that needed to be made now, rather than later, due to people travelling long distances to come and run, and the forecast still is not looking promising.
    The downhill sections are OK due to the snow making, as you say, but the trail we were planning to take goes further out than the aqueduct - and hence the snow cover there is at the moment "patchy at best" The aqueduct was our backup plan, but that is not looking good either.
    We are really hoping that a new date can be arranged as Falls Creek are still very keen to have the event go ahead this year. Keep those fingers crossed!
    Leah.
    ACT Rep
    ACT Rep

Post by ACT Rep Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi Leah,
    Following my visit to Falls last week and chatting to my friends at Ski Lifts, I understand the rescheduled date is now Mon evening 16 August immediately after the DP race weekend. Is this still the plan? Obviously all dependent on them getting sufficient natural falls of snow, which at the moment is still thin on the ground but forecast for later this week. Fingers crossed!!!
    Mya Girl
    Mya Girl

Post by Mya Girl Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 pm

NEW DATE FOR THE FALLS CREEK CLASSIC!!

Hi Everyone

We have some fantastic news regarding the Falls Creek Classic for 2010. We have been able to negotiate a new date for this year with Falls Creek Management.

We are now running the exhibition event on the afternoon/evening of Tuesday the 17th of August. This is the Tuesday straight after the Altitude 5000 race at Dinner Plain.

We are offering places for the teams who were already entered to run on July 5th first. If all these teams are able to run, we are left with only 3 available places, so if you are up on the mountains for Dinner Plain and would like to join us in running the Falls Creek Classic on the Tuesday – please email me and let me know ASAP to secure your place.

The race will be run in the same format as previously decided for July. If you have any questions regarding the Falls Creek Classic, or require more information – please don’t hesitate to send me an email.

My email is sanders.leah.j@edumail.vic.gov.au

Thanks,
    Leah Sanders

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:39 am