ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

2 posters

long hair /harness?

Paddles
    Paddles

long hair /harness? Empty long hair /harness?

Post by Paddles Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:50 am

Ok, in reality, I know it's not being caused by the harness, but I am wondering if clipping these matts off, indeed, clipping the underside? of the dog where the harness runs, would be a good Idea or a bad idea.

I am presuming that the matts (they are not large matts, just big enough for the comb to catch, but small enough that the brush passes over them.) would pull? under the harness.

I comb and brush regularly, but these little clumps seem to form daily

(Oh, for anyone who doesn't know,,, I have English springer spaniels)
    tseekaspirit
    tseekaspirit

long hair /harness? Empty Re: long hair /harness?

Post by tseekaspirit Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi Paddles. Yes with Springer spaniels I wouldnt be suprised at all that your dogs are getting small matts where the harnesses rub.

I would say that Yes you could clip the area where the harness Rubs but DO NOT clip it to short, as you dont want the harness rubbing on clipped skin... it will cause your dogs more issues with rub sores on the skin.

I would recommend that if you are clipping the dogs not to use a blade shorter then a #7. This will stop the matting of the hair but not cause rub sores on your dogs skin.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Nat
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:18 am

thanks nat, I will clip it with a #7 blade (I actually do have one! or maybe it's a 5?) anyway,I won't clip it to the skin. I tried to comb it out yesterday, but there are just too many little matts close to the skin, but I guess if the hair is shorter, the matts should comb out anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 am