ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

3 posters

What are you supposed to do??

Paddles
    Paddles

What are you supposed to do?? Empty What are you supposed to do??

Post by Paddles Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:20 am

What should you do, when you have 2 dogs and one starts to squat??? should you stop the other dog? I have noticed that by the time you stop the other dog, the first dog has been pulled several metres and have forgotten what they were going to do.or do you ignore the whole thing??

should I be calling them to go on?? what is the best thing to do with this matter..
    ACT Rep
    ACT Rep

What are you supposed to do?? Empty Re: What are you supposed to do??

Post by ACT Rep Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:29 pm

You either keep an eye on the winking pinky and be prepared to stop both dogs in time, OK for small team, or you teach them to poop on the run as needs be with bigger teams. Imagine 12-18 dogs at full tilt and one "has to go" the other 11-17 aint gonna stop and wait patiently, no matter how strong that unwritten dog law of "not interrupting another dog when they are in that vulnerable position" is. Get over it little buddy and poop on the run.
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:32 am

ACT Rep wrote:You either keep an eye on the winking pinky and be prepared to stop both dogs in time, OK for small team, or you teach them to poop on the run as needs be with bigger teams. Imagine 12-18 dogs at full tilt and one "has to go" the other 11-17 aint gonna stop and wait patiently, no matter how strong that unwritten dog law of "not interrupting another dog when they are in that vulnerable position" is. Get over it little buddy and poop on the run.

I guess that is at the heart of the question, can a dog poop on the run, I know a horse can, but feel so sorry for soph (I swear she goes as soon as we get out of sight of our house) as she sort of skips and trys to poop...
    but from all my reading, letting them stop when they want to is bad...

So I"ll call on them to keep moving, and try to stop feeling sorry for them.... jocolor
    Snofall
    Snofall
    Admin

Post by Snofall Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 am

The other trick is, make sure they go to the toilet BEFORE you go running. That means walking the dogs, giving them a chance to do what they need to do, before you hook them up. This should be a regular part of your training regime. Walk and empty dogs before hooking up.
    Doesn't always work, there are a few stubborn ones who hold on till your out on the track, but for the majority it does.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 pm