ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

+3
Paddles
jcsledda
Schusski
7 posters

Equipment standards

Schusski

Equipment standards Empty Equipment standards

Post by Schusski Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:02 am

To all the clubs/rgo's that ran 8 dog class last year I would like to personally thankyou,and hope the same races hold 8 dog again this year.In regards to this class has ASSA given any thought to a standard minimum equipment needed for this class,eg rig weights,braking ,I ask this as there was a bit of concern with some mushers as to the requirement that rigs should have to race in this class last year at Canberra.
    On a lighter side I think this class should be renamed Old Farts class concidering most of us who have run this class are.

Team old farts Schusski
    jcsledda

Equipment standards Empty Re: Equipment standards

Post by jcsledda Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:57 am

G'day ya ol bugger! How about we have veteran 8 dog class for TG's Mals!! But then again, we may also need a cripple class for him. He's going to kill me if he reads this! Just jokes Tony, just jokes. Whats the qualifying age for the "OFC" going to be Wayne, cause I reckon I'll be joining very soon.

Hope alls well.

Justin Celentane
    Schusski

Post by Schusski Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:24 pm

I reckon 45 is a good age what do you think ,seems like a lot have checked out this topic but nobody wants to talk.
    Wayne
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Looking... but since it's unlikely for me to ever run a team larger than 2 dogs... not a lot of point in commenting... however having had a scooter break on me mid race... good equipment standards strike me as common sense... Rolling Eyes

and since I'll be celebrating my 40th at the first training day this march... I guess I'm getting to that age group... lol!
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:11 am

Well, count me in. Just!! Given I've just had my 45th, I guess I qualify. Just have to find another 6 dogs and she'll be right!!

Shame no-one wants to talk. Wants wrong with growing old - disgracefully!!

Whilst we're on topic of equipment - wonder if there would be any grief if I mounted two baby seats onto my rig for the twins to front up at pee wee class?! Two wont fit on a scooter and It would be just plain dangerous. I mean, I cant discriminate between them can I. That would be unfair. Just dont tell their mum!

Justin
    Schusski

Post by Schusski Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:18 am

Good idea on twin seats in the rig ,The first time Jess was in a sled she was 6 months old ,her safety capsule fitted neatly into the sled.
    Wayne
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:05 am

i recon twin seats in the rig would be great! every rig should have room for an extra child.... or teddy bear!

I want more dogs!
    Dave Brown
    Dave Brown

Post by Dave Brown Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 am

Old farts at 45?? You're still babies!

Dave
    Andrew Gersbach
    Andrew Gersbach

Post by Andrew Gersbach Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Ok - ASSA has thought about equipment standards for running larger classes and have decided to agree to suggesting as a guide only, the standards that the IFSS has published. The costs associated with 4 wheel rigs etc are high and we will not insist this year that they be used.

Mushers, whether they run 1 dog or 8 need to know their limits / capabilities and have appropriate equipment to complete racing/training safely.

BTW Caleb was in the rig from the time I could get him away from Lisa ;-)
    Schusski

Post by Schusski Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi Mr G ,
    Have you been away and are just catching up on gossip?
    Wayne
    Andrew Gersbach
    Andrew Gersbach

Post by Andrew Gersbach Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi Uncle Wayne
    Yep i have been out of control this year - 10 days in the states - a week in Singapore - 2 weeks in Sydney and flippin busy at work.
    So catching up on a few things and trying to square away a few issues...

Hope you are well and see you soon.
    Andrew
    Katrina Cumins

Post by Katrina Cumins Wed May 04, 2011 7:57 am

OMG, just read this thread (getting back into mushing after having some time off) and i really hope my hubby never finds it... he wanted to put our daugther in the rig in her capsule last year but mum said NO!!! now he to wants to bolt a seat in there for her, or attach the baby bike trailer to the scooter.
    Either that or harness two (not just one) dogs up to the pram and put his roller blades on, ekkkk! affraid

hmmm... dads! lucky its mum who trains the puppies.

Katrina
    Schusski

Post by Schusski Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Katrina ,My daughters first ride in a sled was when she was 6months old she loved it and still does 24years later.
    Wayne
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi Wayne, trust all is well. Given the twins have just turned six months old, any suggestions on co-ercing Mel that the bubs will be "fine" behind a few Mals? I mean, what could go wrong!!!? Shes bringing the bubs to Undera, so should I point her in the direction of your camp? Which of the Bakers has the best powers of persuasion - you, Di or Jess (and keep it clean)?

Take care. Hope the training is going well, and see all the Bakers very soon.

Regards,

Justin
    snowsteeds

Post by snowsteeds Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm working at putting eight together this year and would be interested in the guidelines ASSA have put together and any designs for heavier rigs suitable for the task. There is definately a massive difference running the lighter rigs behind smaller teams to hooking a few more dogs on. Claw brakes seem to be an effective solution but aren't very good on the landscape. I am toying with the idea of hooking them to a golf cart though Very Happy . Regards E'vette

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 am