ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

4 posters

How do you make the dog run continuously?

kweeping
    kweeping

How do you make the dog run continuously? Empty How do you make the dog run continuously?

Post by kweeping Mon May 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi everyone

My son mushes a 6 year old husky who starts off well then slows down to a trot until another dog passes her - then she will run again. When she looses sight of that dog, she slows down to a trot again. This pattern repeats itself throughout the whole run. My junior musher is getting frustrated. Can anyone advise what we can do to overcome this? Your advice is appreciated!
    Paddles
    Paddles

How do you make the dog run continuously? Empty Re: How do you make the dog run continuously?

Post by Paddles Mon May 17, 2010 3:26 pm

I am no expert, this is my first season, but my son has the same problem with his dog, and I have the same problem with the dog I run, and we have started training with a "rabbit" in front, in my sons case, me, in my case him, we call and generally encourage the dogs to pick up speed a little. I have also found, since running them with other dogs, we have increased the amount of time spent running as opposed to jogging along. something else I have been doing (Be very carefull with this one) is running my dogs beside my bike, thus peddling andd keeping them running, not letting them drop to a trot. the theory is that they will develop the muscles to run... lessening the developement of the muscles used to trot????

As I said, I am no expert (I have English springers, not huskys) but this is what I have been doing to try to solve my problem (which by the sound of it, is the same as your problem)
    Andrew Gersbach
    Andrew Gersbach

How do you make the dog run continuously? Empty Re: How do you make the dog run continuously?

Post by Andrew Gersbach Mon May 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi Kweeping
    I have a couple of questions for you before i try and assist.

1.) Does your pup genuinely like to run - excited to start?
    2.) Do you train on your own or are you in a club etc?
    3.) Do you always run with other teams on the trail?
    4.) Do you lead out the training session or follow others?
    5.) Is your pup fit and without too many extra kg's?
    6.) Do you constantly talk to her on the trail?

Cheers
    Andrew
    kweeping
    kweeping

Post by kweeping Mon May 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi Andrew

She ain't no pup! She's already 6 years old! Very Happy

She usually has a good start during Club training but slows down after a while. My elder boy, who is mushing a 16 month old husky, usually overtakes from behind and when that happens, she will start running to try to catch up. Unfortunately, she's not as fast as the pup and when she looses sight of the pup (or any other dog who overtakes her) in the dark, she slows down again, to the frustration of my younger son (who is mushing her).

She is on the plump side so we are also controlling her diet to make her loose some weight! My younger son tries to encourage her during the run but she has a mind of her own!
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Mon May 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Firstly, Paddles - not the bike!! Be careful, going over the bars is not much fun. Further, the dog may not be leaning and working into the harness, so although fitness may be being built up, the desire to lean into the harness may not. You may also do damage to your dogs alignment if they are runningon a slight angle to you. Just cautionary advice.

Kweeping, first and foremost I think your girl needs to get a few kgs off and you are doing that which is great. She may just need to build up that lung capacity. Something for you to try - have you considered doing some "burst" training with her. Let her run flat out and as she backs off, then stop. Rest her on the trail for a few moments, then repeat the process. This will help to develop her strength and cardio capacity for the shorter sprints of the 1 dog category.

Just remember, some dogs will lead out and will stay out. Some like the thrill of the chase, and then have difficulty once they catch and pass (and can often hinder the team they have just caught). And some, well some just close their minds off and wont listen - to anything!

Can I ask - have you always owned the elder girl? That is, have you had her since a pup or was she a "second hand rose?"
    kweeping
    kweeping

Post by kweeping Tue May 18, 2010 7:59 am

Both Andrew and jcsledda are right - she does need to loose a few pounds (think you can tell from the photo!) . Hopefully with the weight off her, her fitness will improve.

She came to me almost 4 years ago and we only started running with the Club last year. Come to think of it now, the previous owner used to roller blade next to her and she ran well that way. Perhaps it's the change in the manner of running (with my son behind her now) that doesn't sit comfortably with her. We will try the "burst" method with her tonight and see if it works with her. I might have to cycle in front of her to get her going. Very Happy Smile
    Andrew Gersbach
    Andrew Gersbach

Post by Andrew Gersbach Tue May 18, 2010 7:24 pm

1.) Does your pup genuinely like to run - excited to start?
    Use the excitement against her, if she slows on the trail stop her until she is excited and hitting the harness again.

2.) Do you train on your own or are you in a club etc?
    mix up the training sessions, let her catch and pass other teams, try and team her with a strong minded dog that doesnt stop, this may trigger a change.

3.) Do you always run with other teams on the trail?
    Again mix it up, go for runs that make her question the status quo. If a team passes and she slows down see if that team could allow you to catch up and pass and so on.

4.) Do you lead out the training session or follow others?
    Same answer - there is no right or wrong only perseverance and patience.

5.) Is your pup fit and without too many extra kg's?
    fitness helps - obviously

6.) Do you constantly talk to her on the trail?
    Don't talk constantly - they switch off like a child, when they hear from you they know its important.(watch ear set)
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Wed May 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Kweeping, thanks for the additional info - that she came to you when she was two and that you have only just introduced her to the sport, at around five years of age.

My first Mal came to me at age two - after three previous owners. I had never mushed (although I did have friends who had been involved for a number of years) and neither had the dog. We had no knowledge and very little info - except join a club and ask questions. It took a full season before both her and I got positive benefits (fitness being the first but the kicker was a runners up in the novice class of the last ASSA State of Origin held). It was a steep learning curve that involved primarily learning to work together - mushing (even in 1 dog) is a team sport. At age two, my girl was still very young, and willing to learn. It may be a little more difficult for your young son and a more mature girl - with an already established mindset. Also, and perhaps more importantly, your son is young, keen and wants to be up front (kids want to "win"). So patience and persistance will be required on two levels. It will be a challenge, but will be rewarding. Even now, with my first girl now approaching 9, I get so much fun out of her still wanting to hit that harness (even though she struggles a little with the youngies that are with her).

All the best.

Justin Celentane
    Snowpaw Alaskan Malamutes
    St Andrews Vic 3761
    kweeping
    kweeping

Post by kweeping Tue May 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi guys

A quick update. We have started doing week night sprinting sessions with other club members and that has done my dogs good! As we are running round a small park, she could see the other dogs ahead of her and that has given her the incentive to chase. She actually overtook a couple of dogs! My 10 year old boy is now more fun with these sessions as well. Hopefully, that will continue to build up doggie's stamina and enthusiasm as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 am