ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

4 posters

dedication?

Paddles
    Paddles

dedication? Empty dedication?

Post by Paddles Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:34 am

It's 6:30am, I've been up for half an hr, trying to talk myself into taking the dogs for a run before it gets warm... I don't think I have enough dedication for this sport...

Who trains when, and how? for instance if you take the dogs out with the scooter, how far do you go and for how long? and how often?

Keeping in mind that this is supposed to be fun? or do you just wait until it is cooler weather, and can take the dogs out in the evening? (too warm here of an evening) night training is out for me

Thank you
    jcsledda

dedication? Empty Re: dedication?

Post by jcsledda Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:16 am

Paddles, you are bitten! The bug has well and truly got you.

As with any sport - human or otherwise - there is such a thing as overtraining and boredom. Try and structure different forms of training with the dogs. For example, when its warmer I take my Mals swimming in my dams on my property. Keeps them cool, they get some resistance training, but most importantly they enjoy it.

I will also take them to different areas to run, and I try and avoid where there may be races held. Dogs have an uncanny knack of remembering race sites, track layouts etc.

So far this year I have had my dogs hooked up once. They do, however, get some form of activity everyday. Whether it be me in the runs with them having a play, walking them around the property, or just fussing over them with a grooming brush. There is always a form of positive reinforcement. Whenever I walk them, for example, I will introduce gee and haw commands, or easy up, or hike up to start running - it all keeps them thinking and alert to their "leader."

Just remember, keep the dogs and yourself keen. That will ensure that each time they see the harness or you packing up gear to go to a race event they will be on edge. They will want to go and chomping at the bit to get out there.

Hope this helps.

Justin Celentane
    Snowpaw Alaskan Malamutes
    St Andrews Vic 3761
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 am

Justin,

can you tell me some things about malamute races etc? do you run different distances/speeds than the huskies? I took Fred and Sophie for a 5-6 km run this morning (not with the scooter, Because I can let themoff lead, I just rode the bike through the local bush with them running with/around me) this is after 2 days with out much more than a short amble down to the corner shop..... we did not go fast, and stopped for breathers etc every now and again (when I thought they looked a bit puffy), but they are reasonably fit for pets,and the run did not seem to bother them excessively. but we did not go near the speeds that huskies seem to run/train at. There is nowhere here atm where I can swim the dogs comfortably I can't take them to the river because of the danger of the speed boats.... (I won't go into my opinion of waterskiers) in another few weeks it will/would be safe, tooo cold for them lol.

Thanks

Heidi
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:46 am

There are probably as many similarities as there are differences with respect to Mals and Siberians.

Mals were originally bred as long distance freighting/hauling dogs. Designed to haul great weights over long distances. So, in that respect that are not the fast, light on their feet, sprint dog that the huskies are. However, in recent times a few exceptions have come to the fore and have been really mixing it up with the huskies.

The Mal club races usually work on the basis of approx 3 to 5klms for one dog, 6 to 8klms for two dog, and 8klms + for larger teams. The club also runs longer distance events - excurions events which are 16 - 18klms and long distance excellence (which is part of the clubs titles process) which is 75klm.

The speeds for 1 dog range between 10kph (for the very "relaxed" dog/musher combo) and up to 25kph for the faster, 2 dog teams 15 - 20kph depending on course/distance, 3 dog plus teams generally average 13 - 16kph once again depending on distance/course. It is important to bear in mind, these are not sprint dogs. They are big, heavy structured. Its perhaps like comparing a landcruiser ute to a holden v8 ss ute. Ones built for grunt, the other for speed. Mals are aslo affectionately known as the "elephants" out on trail.

Hope some of this helps.

Regards,

Justin Celentane
    St Andrews Vic 3761
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 am

This is one of my thoughts, the distances and speeds seem phenomenal! I know that the training run we did at the husky training day was short, 1.9km I think, and personally, I think my dogs would have gone better going around a second time.... (takes the first time round to finish pooing Embarassed ) an yes I do walk them before hand! Sad

Oh well.....

We are in Geelong the weekend of the next training day (For both husky and mals) so will have to pick one to attend....
    Mallyhaven
    Mallyhaven

Post by Mallyhaven Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:27 pm

My alarm goes off at 4am and I drive out the driveway by 4.30. My mals start to go off when I'm putting my shoes on. They are the ones that help me to get motivated. They then go to their respective doors at the trailer ready tojump in! It takes me then 1/2 an hr to get out to Peachy State forest. While its still dark I am hooking up with lights, then we are off and slowly the sun rises. It is the best part of the day!!! I've done this a couple of times now this season but last season I was running them 3 to 5 times a week depending on how they were handling it. I think I'm well and truely hooked!!!!
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:17 am

Mallyhaven wrote:My alarm goes off at 4am and I drive out the driveway by 4.30. My mals start to go off when I'm putting my shoes on. They are the ones that help me to get motivated. They then go to their respective doors at the trailer ready tojump in! It takes me then 1/2 an hr to get out to Peachy State forest. While its still dark I am hooking up with lights, then we are off and slowly the sun rises. It is the best part of the day!!! I've done this a couple of times now this season but last season I was running them 3 to 5 times a week depending on how they were handling it. I think I'm well and truely hooked!!!!

That is what I call dedication.... ever thought of camping out there overnight? (my training tracks are just 5min walk down the rd, but I know some people have to travel to find tracks...
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:32 pm

"I dunno. My 'elephants' used to kick some Sibe butt on a regular basis!"

But alas Lisa, you guys crossed to the dark side many moons ago. Come back, come back, elephants are "fun!"

Regards

Justin Celentane
    St Andrews Vic 3761
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:02 am

hubby is refusing to allow me to sell/trade the big scooter, says he might end up getting intereested himself.... he's a big boy (not fat, but big) I recon he'd end up needing mals to pull him...lol, maybe I could talk him into a 4 dog team... one day...
    Schusski

dedication? Empty Training

Post by Schusski Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:00 pm

We also used to get up at 4.00 am to go training at peachey and geham before it got to hot ,but now we can go out at any time so lond as it is cool enough ,we got smart and came home to victoria.

Schusski sleddogs
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:16 pm

hey, I'm in Victoria..... Well northern vic, and it's tooooo hot atm, I ended up taking the dogs swimming today (Blasted jetskis tho)
    Mallyhaven
    Mallyhaven

dedication? Empty Training

Post by Mallyhaven Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Schusski wrote:We also used to get up at 4.00 am to go training at peachey and geham before it got to hot ,but now we can go out at any time so lond as it is cool enough ,we got smart and came home to victoria.

Schusski sleddogs

Yes I agree!! I am very tempted to move to Victoria for that reason!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:03 pm