ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

New to the Malamute World

cfitto

New to the Malamute World Empty New to the Malamute World

Post by cfitto Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:08 am

Hi Guys
    Just need to give a little info on my situation. I have 5 dogs (not Malamutes but all rescued and abandoned). During the last six months I have lost two to cancer. I have 2 old girls left and a male long haired chihuahua/Pomeranian 3 years. One of the old girls is going to rainbow bridge very soon with cancer also.  In the meantime over the last 7 months I have a young neighbor with a young 3 year old un-desexed male malamute. Basically has no understanding of dogs or the breed and how to care for it. I have been during this time walking and feeding it for approx 1.5 / 2 hours every day. I generally walk or get pulled down the park where we then travel through the bush for approx 30 mins with him off lead. At the end I put the lead on and we continue to walk through parks and streets. In the beginning it was very hard to have off the lead as he is a very dominant boy. With patience and understanding he has improved alot. I have been clicker training him and has been responding very well, but like all dogs has his moments. I would love to have him join our family but are unable at present with the old girl that has cancer. I don't want to upset the dynamics of the family with her.
    My questions are:-
    1. He will be de-sexed soon. When that is done can I bring him to my place and introduce the girl and boy to him or should I wait 7-10 days. Any ideas on how I should introduce them.
    2. I live in Sydney and I would love to do the sledding on a bike with him. If so where are we able to go?
    3. What sort of collar/lead harness would you recommend when walking. I was looking at the walking belt?
    Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated he is a wonderful boy

Regards
    Cheryl Fitton

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 pm