ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

+2
Secretary
mjlehrmannn1
6 posters

Scooter wanted

mjlehrmannn1
    mjlehrmannn1

Scooter wanted Empty Scooter wanted

Post by mjlehrmannn1 Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 am

Hi everyone,
    I am looking to buy a second hand scooter to get into the sport.I have looked a bit online but had no luck with second hand models only new stuff.If any one is looking to sell or upgrade or can offer any help on this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Secretary

Scooter wanted Empty Re: Scooter wanted

Post by Secretary Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:46 am

Check out this website for some second hand gear... And keep your eyes open on this forum too - there's always stuff coming up for sale. Good luck.

http://www.dogsledding.com.au/dogsledding.com.au/BigSale.html
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi there. Welcome to the world of dogsledding. Hopefully you will be out there soon with all of us and joining in with what we love to do - the running of our dogs.

Depending on what you budget is, you can try Ralph at the following:

www.windchill.com.au

Go to the scooters and carts area and this will give you an idea of pricing. Speak to Ralph, if you so choose, as the pricing may be different if you can supply an old BMX or mountain bike for conversion.

All the best and good luck.

Justin Celentane
    Snowpaw Alaskan Malamutes
    St Andrews Vic 3761
    mjlehrmannn1
    mjlehrmannn1

Post by mjlehrmannn1 Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks so much for your replies i will definately take a look at those sites .I cant wait to give it a go(i can only run so far and i have had a few stacks on the mountain bike) .Im around the act area so i will be going for a look at the race there this weekend.thanks again
    mike
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Mike, the Canberra Sled Dog race is a very good one to go and see. Run and organised by a great bunch of people. You should get a great feel for what its all about. Enjoy the race and enjoy the day.

Justin Celentane
    St Andrews Vic 3761
    idigadog
    idigadog
    Admin

Post by idigadog Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:59 pm

mjlehrmannn1 wrote:Thanks so much for your replies i will definately take a look at those sites .I cant wait to give it a go(i can only run so far and i have had a few stacks on the mountain bike) .Im around the act area so i will be going for a look at the race there this weekend.thanks again
    mike
    Mike,

Ask around for Andrew or Lisa. We have been members of the Canberra Sleddog Club since 1997. Although we'll be rather busy organising and racing, we always have time to welcome new people.

Cheers,

Lisa
    mjlehrmannn1
    mjlehrmannn1

Post by mjlehrmannn1 Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi again,
    I didnt get to make it to the canberra race although i will try to ge there soon.During the week i bought a Holstar scooter from sydney.This can get me started and i bought a gangline from windchill .The scooter is being freighted to me it should be here soon.Its brand new and from a good shop . Like i said before im new to all this so i dont really know what to look for in a scooter.It has 16 inch wheels and brakes , so it beats running.does anyone one have any comments on these scooters ?
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:20 pm

G'day Mike,
    The Canberra Sled Dog Race is actually on this wekend, if thats of any help to you.
    Havent heard of the brand/model scooter you have purchased. Most people that use scooters for racing tend to use a custom set up. There are a couple of people out there running this size - ie 16 inch - but most tend to go the 26 inch mountain bike size wheels - the larger the diameter, the less revolutions required to cover distance.
    As a starter, the scooter you have purchased will serve you well.
    Be sure to ask questions, and I'm sure you'll get people on here willing to help where possible. Just remember, we all were novices at one point in time!
    Regards, and once again welcome.

Justin Celentane
    St Andrews Vic 3761

mjlehrmannn1
    mjlehrmannn1

Post by mjlehrmannn1 Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:17 am

Hi,
    Yeah the scooter i bought isnt specifically for dog racing i just wanted something to try it out and it was relativly cheap to get it from sydney to cooma .Im working all weekend so i cant go to the canberra race although i will definately follow it up soon.If me and my dog enjoy it i will get a specific scooter to race .It sounds like such a fun sport and ive had a lot of help with my enquiries so it sounds like sport welcomes new comers.Thanks again for all those who replied Ive learnt alot already
    Chhers Mike
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:10 am

16 inch scooters are fine to start with, many start with them, (I did) some still race on them, but as an adult (unless you are small) you will find it small. I'm looking for a photo of my 16 inch...

Hmmm, not on this laptop... if you have any skill welding making a scooter is not so hard (or so my husband tells me,) and even going up to a 20 inch wheel makes a difference. Later today I will take, and post a photo of all three of my scooters... hmmm, in starting sled dog racing, in 2 yrs, i have collected 3 scooters, 7 harnesses, and an extra dog.... lol
    ACT Rep
    ACT Rep

Post by ACT Rep Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:09 am

Hi Mike, we spoke on the phone about this a few weeks ago, good to see you are getting kitted up. Canberra club will still be social training for a while yet while the temp stays low on Saturday mornings at Kowen forest, it would be an early start for you but let me know if you can come along so I can ensure you can get into the forest to join us. My number is on the website.
    cheers, Jennie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am