ASSA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ASSA Forum

4 posters

different harness

Paddles
    Paddles

different harness Empty different harness

Post by Paddles Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 am

Hi, I keep getting the feeling that one of my dogs problems is being caused by his harness, and I'm going to try a different style. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who uses a saddleback harness or such? why did they change, do they think it works better etc?

I'm running English Springers,

Thank you
    Rob
    Rob

different harness Empty Re: different harness

Post by Rob Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 am

Try non-stopdogwear.no They have a free motion harness and nome harness styles which may suit your dogs. Probably a size 4 or 5 for a springer I would suggest.
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:04 am

Rob, do you use these? I've seen these at undera? I think.... are you in victoria??
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:46 am

Paddles, By "problems" what do you mean? What sort of harness are you currently using - an "x" back or "h" back?

Justin Celentane
    Snowpaw Alaskan Malamutes
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 am

Hi, I'm using a x back from windchill, and 100 yards into the race, he'll stop and squat, like he's going to poo, he might or might not do anything, he will then waddle along... with his lower back arched like he's wanting to stop, if you let him stop /stop him he jsut stands there, and says lets go.... he has on one occasion had a whole lot of blood come out of his bowel during a race (that was scary) I of course turned round and went straight back to the start, and we went back like a train on fire! he was fine, the vet put him on antibiotics for a week and said wait and see.... nothing further happened. it hasn't happened since. I just keep wandering if the straps coming up from under his legs put preasure on his stomach/bowel. It has been suggested that I try a saddleback, and I'll get one to try.... but I thought I'd ask for any other suggestions.... someone has suggested that because fred is a springer... he might suit a hound based? harness a bit more. Then again it might just be him being a pain, and he needs some encouragement to move forward consistantly again.

Thanks for your opinion

Heidi
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 am

Hi Heidi, his bio-mechanics are interesting (and the previous bleed is concerning). After that event, apart from the vet putting him on anti-biotics, was there any follow up? I know you mention that there was no further issue but has his structure been looked at? ie, his alignment? It doesnt take much for a spine to be put out of whack - an uneven step, a jerky movement, stepping into a hollow.

Something to try. You mention he is "squatting" like he wants to empty. Do you take him for a good wander prior to a run/race? Try taking him for a walk a good hour before a run/race, if nothing passes, then take him for another about half hour later. Another thing to try - put the harness on and connect a lead through the loop and take hime for a walk - ensuring he is leaning into the harness - and see if the "reaction" is the same (ie, the arching of the back, squatting etc).

If you are concerned about fitment of the harness, maybe contact Sandy at Windchill and get some follow up advice from her. She may be able to make some suggestions to you, and whether she considers that the harness may be causing the issue.

Hope that helps.

Justin
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks for your reply Justin, I've had him to the chiropractor a few times, and aside of agreeing that he is sore in the lower back, and the possibility that the harness could be causeing the problem (however he admits he knows nothing about sledding/sled dogs) he can see that fred runs free and relatively straight when lose.

we were going to x-ray his back, but I didn't have enough money last time he was knocked out, and don't want to knock him out just for that. the vet has watched his movement both in harness and without, but he doesn't do it just walking in the harness. it is a very wierd motion that he sets up and I keep trying to get someone experianced to take him out to see it and give thier opinion, but no one will. (people who might figure out what is wrong that is, others have taken him out, and agree it's wierd, but have no idea what could be causeing it)

we always do a good poo walk before the race, he understands what that is for and always goes at least once, if not twice, he may or not pass anything during a race, and if he does it's always a tiny amount (not a proper poo) the first vet I consulted decided it was a nerves issue, and suggested a natural calming remedy. in the normal run of things he is so laid back and even at race meets, if you asked anyone, they would tell you that my dogs are the most placid at a meet....) he does tend to get sloppy poo at a meet tho.

if I am walking him in the harness, and he is pulling, I can only drag back to a certain degree before he stops pulling.

I've spoken to sandy, but (and I agree with this) the harness fits fine. (ralph checked it at goldseekers last year) I think it is just the style that might???? cause the issue. (well actually I don't see how the harness can be causing the issue either but I'm desperate at this stage.)

The only suggestion that others have made, is to try a different style harness, and see what happens. I'm going to get a saddleback harness and try that, and, dependant on the price, the one from norway and try that too. I don't see what else I can do.

Thank you

Heidi study
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:49 am

Just an update, the free-motion harness' are about 82- each, plus shipping and tax.. (ouch) I've ordered 2 saddlebacks, I'll try them, and if still having issues... I'll just have to fork out for the free motions!
    jcsledda

Post by jcsledda Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 am

Before going to the expense as a "test", do you know of anyone that you can borrow these types of harnesses from and try them out. If the test proves the theory, then at least you will know you are not wasting your money on something. The old horse before the cart theory!

Justin
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:50 am

I've only seen one person using these harness' and whilst I asked him at the time about trying harness' he sent me to someone selling taiga harness', I know of someone thinking of getting one, but she is in WA... so no go there.... advice I"ve received is that the saddleback works well on hounds... so going to use them this season, and if still getting problems, ???? Having just paid for the saddlebacks, I can't afford the free-running ones, unless guarenteed, and since there is no guarentees in life... lol

If I get desperate I'll order and try them (or if I pick up some more work!)
    chippewa
    chippewa

Post by chippewa Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:37 am

Paddles
    Look at dogbooties.com - they have saddleback harnesses. i have one - not sure if it would be small enough for your dogs but.
    goodluck
    Paddles
    Paddles

Post by Paddles Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi Chippewa,

I have ordered and recieved 2 saddlebacks from dog booties, just waiting for some cooler weather to try them out. atm, even at midnight it's not dropping below 20.. with high humidity.... sigh....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm